Sunday, October 28, 2007

Magical worlds





Finally have time to pick up books to read for pleasure.

Fantasy book - fairytale for adults, whisks you off to far away lands, magical powers and unbelievable stories. Its a great way to escape from the modern world. I know some religious and family groups ban and denounce these books - being blasphemous because they are un-realistic stories (where is their sense of humour or imagination?). I guess I'm still a kid at heart to love these books.

Sifted through my bookshelf and found my copy of one of my all time favourite books - Magician by Raymond Feist.



Magician is by far the best book Mr Feist has written - Silverthorn and A Darkness at Sethanon are a close second... unfortunately the remaining books in the "series" fall very short of the brilliant first of the series. Although I continue to read the books, its almost like watching Rocky IX just to find out what happens to the star, but not necessarily enjoying the books.


Also found a copy of the series written by Isobelle Carmody called Obernewtyn. I'd first read this in year 8 - and she has yet to finish this particular series (Hurry up!). The next book, about 5 yrs after the last one, is due out in Feb - definately something to look forward to. Ditto for Katherine Kerr and her brilliant series.

Sadly, just found out that another great writer, Robert Jordan of the Wheel of Time series, has recently passed away. He never managed to finish writing his epic 12 book series... Will we ever know how our heroes turn out?

But the funny thing is, as much I love fantasy books, I have (gasp) not yet read the Harry Potter series. Reason being I knew how hooked I'd be and just could not bear the thought of waiting years for the next instalment to be released (as I am doing for the aforementioned series).

Now that I've time and the books are finished - Harry here I come!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com