Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Lakehouse




Spending Saturday night home alone...

Watched "The Lake House"... Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeve. I remember it being a fairly big hit when it first came out... I'm not normally big on romantic movies...




Pleasantly surprised.







The plot seems simple Kate (Sandra Bullock) moves out of this beautiful glass house by the lake and "new tenant" Alex (Keanu Reeves) appears to move in.

However, there's a little snag.... Kate's living in 2006 and Alex is living in 2004. Their letters to each other "magically" appear in the Lake House's mail box and reaches across time to each other. It really takes "long distance relationship" to new grounds.



Unfortuantely its not an original movie. Its based on a Korean movie "Il Mare" (look out for this reference in the movie) - which I havent seen, but is apparently bigger and better.


It surpassed my expectations on it in several ways.



Their letters were quirky....

"Alex: I'm married too. I've got eight children and none of them look like me. I'm worried, Kate. Kate: I would be too.
Alex: [chuckles] I'm single."




Their love story is cheesy but so sweet....



Alex: She's more real to me than anything I've ever known.


Kate: One man I can never meet. Him, I would like to give my whole heart to.

Kate: What if you live your whole life and no one was waiting?



They go on dates, difficult times in their life and even fight by "mail"....


The ending had me gripping my sofa... holding my breath...


But I wont give that away.

My fav scene - when he plants a tree for her... you'll know when you watch it.

I've always enjoyed watching both Keanu and Sandra. Despite the fact that they only have about 3 acts together, their chemistry really came through. And seldomly do you actually see Keanu smile in his movies... he's always playing the same self-sacrificing hero (Matrix, Constantine) - it was a pleasant change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com